Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 42 - 43 Between Zion and Hurricane

I never get tired of the splendor of red rock. As I leave Zion, and some of the most amazing scenery anywhere, I am blown away by the artistry of God. I am so glad I could not walk down I-15. Highway 89 gave me a hundred extra miles of walking, but there is a reason it has become one of the most loved scenic byways. Kara and I have come to appreciate the beauty of Utah like never before.

I still feel my ankle a bit but I only feel my thigh when I push uphill. I decided to keep my “reshaped” crutch. In some ways it is better than before I bent it in the hole on the bridge. I have nearly worn out my favorite shoe, but swapping out the insole with one of my others has given it new life.

There is not much left of my walk. I have a hard time thinking about getting back to the “box” of everyday life. On the other hand, it will be good for my family to have some regularity and routine.

I saw a cottontail today. It surprises me that I have not seen more wildlife. Perhaps it is the time of year. I have only seen one snake, a few lizards, lots of deer and lots of awesome birds, a few rabbits, and one very tiny mouse that hopped around on the road more like a frog than a rodent. There have also been some strange “domestic” animals, ranging from llamas and alpacas, to ostriches, emus, and bison.

Sometimes walking gets hard. I get tired and sore. I start thinking about guys like Terry Fox, who in pain ran a marathon every day for weeks on an artificial leg, until the cancer that had taken his leg eventually took his life. Or Bob Weiland, who lost his legs to a landmine while trying to rescue a fellow soldier. Bob walked across America on his hands. These guys have been such an inspiration to me and thinking about them takes away my complaints. I think of Kevin.

When none of that is working for me I think of Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper. I picture Jillian in her Bully shirt and I can hear her barking, “MOVE!” or “Don’t you dare quit!” And then I am glad I have it so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment