Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 44 La Verkin & Hurricane

Only a few miles left of my walk down Highway 89 from Salt Lake City to St. George. I found myself feeling introspective today as I came closer to St. George and the end of my journey. Have I met my goals? Have I made a difference? So many things I could have done differently, better, more.

What about the people I have encountered? I have been surprised and even amazed at what some people have done to help - donations of time as well as money, goods, services. Significant sacrifices. While other’s just didn’t seem to get it. Perhaps that is my fault. Some people seem to have been greatly affected by even the idea of what I have been doing. While others could only respond with, “good luck with that.”

I have learned some things about myself; or perhaps re-learned. Part of this was brought on by a realization that I needed to do more; to be more. Some years ago I saw a movie that had a great impact on me – Disney’s The Kid. I was drawn in by Bruce Willis’ character, Russ Duritz as he tried to explain his life to his 8-year old self. Young Rusty takes it all in, then neatly summarizes Duritz’s life, “So, I'm forty, I'm not married, I don't fly jets, and I don't have a dog? I grow up to be a loser.” I knew 8-year Steve would have felt the same way. The weight of that burden plagued me.

I remember dreams I had as a kid. What would I say to my 8-year old self? Who was I now? What had I become?  Today I feel I have a better answer for little Steve.

3 comments:

  1. Please finish your blog to let us know the finish and how it went. Also how much money has been donated. I would also like an address to sent a check to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We here at The Pyramid newspaper think you are awesome!!! Hope to stay in contact with you to keep up on what you are accomplishing and also to stay abreast of little Kevin's life; Thank you so much for stopping in the office for a visit; Please feel free to stay in touch by phone or email )pyramid@avpro.com) God bless you in all your endeavors; I tried to get someone over to Dixie to cover your arrival but alas, to no avail; sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if it makes any difference to 8 year old Steve or present day Steve, this person will be forever moved by your journey. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete