Friday, September 24, 2010

Day 12 – Nebo Creek Trail to Mile marker 294



Knocked off 8 miles this morning and crossed into Sanpete County. Walked with Jim and his dog Dragon for a while. Jim saw me walking along the road that passes in front of his house by Birdseye and came out to see what I was up to. Lots of people are curious about what we are doing. I am also striking up some curiosity in the local wildlife. I always get attention from cows and horses – they watch me pass and the horses usually come my way for a closer look. This morning I watched two hawks circling above me for a while. I wondered briefly if I could get a great close-up picture if I was sprawled out on the road. Bet it would have worked if they had been buzzards.


John and Cathy
I took a break out of the day to clean up and go to a wedding. My friend and promoter, John Whitaker, was married to Cathy Tooke, his long time friend at Olsen’s Ranch in Orem this afternoon. It was a nice wedding in a spectacular setting. I wish them both every happiness. They sure deserve it. Check out his website www.evenfactory.com. He has some awesome resources for event planners.

I went walking again for a few miles after the wedding – me walking ahead of Kara in the chase car with her flashers going and headlights lighting me up. Sanpete County must be populated by some of the most helpful people on the planet. So many people stopped to ask if I needed a ride or if we needed help. When they found out what we were doing they would say something about how cool that was and then they would leave. Somehow they are not getting the message that the whole point of this is to create donations to help kids who are missing limbs - even when we tell them. One guy asked, “Do you need a hand?” I replied, “Well, yes, and a leg and a foot and an arm or two.” He laughed. Seeing I was missing a leg I am sure he thought I was joking. So I explained, He replied, “That is awesome, good luck.”, and then he drove away. At least he waved.

Tomorrow we will be moving our base camp from Spanish Fork to Fairview. We expect to arrive in Fairview about 1:00. The local radio stations are going to announce our arrival on the morning show and again at noon. I hope this will help all these people know a little about what we are doing and that it will help donations come in.

Saw a smiley face in the road this morning. Kara wondered if someone may have left it for us. What a nice thought!

WHERE"S WALLY?

View Interactive Map on MapMyWalk.com

2 comments:

  1. Steve- Your looking strong and staying healthy, You have GIANT heart, one step at a time! Hello to your family.
    Steve - Ca.

    ReplyDelete