Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 6 – Center Street in PG to Center Street in Orem

Day 6 – What an interesting day. Center Street in PG to Center Street in Orem.

When I started this journey, I had only a vague idea of the impact it might have on people. Today was another day that showed me that some people out there are deeply moved by what is going on. For some it is the plight of these children and the need for help, for others it is about watching a guy on crutches taking on a challenge, still others are just curious. People stop and ask questions, some throw a few dollars in the “bucket”, some simply honk or cheer as they pass.

A man we ran into as we were pulling into the hotel last night donated $200. I only found out this morning that he was staying at the same hotel while he is undergoing tests to determine if he has cancer. I was amazed that a guy going through so much could get outside of his own problems and misery and show compassion for people he doesn't even know.

A woman stopped and got out of her car to talk to me. She couldn’t stop crying as she explained that she had been on her way to the doctor when she saw me walking. She was going to the doctor to get help for her unbearable depression.  She had to stop and thank me for giving her hope and inspiration.

One young guy stopped and gave me a bottle of chilled water. He also gave me a hassle about the Red Sox hat I was wearing – then I noticed his NY plates. He had quite a bit of advice for taking care of myself on the road; things he had learned in the military. Good stuff. Several times he wiped away tears and then finally explained that his younger brother was finishing a graduate degree – his brother is a paraplegic. Obviouisly what I was doing had deep personal meaning for him. I felt honored to have his company. I wish he knew how much this brief encounter affected me, but he will never read this. He doesn’t do the internet.

Another older gentleman stopped twice – the second time with a sizable donation. He had had a lung removed and was given 6 months to live. That was 4 years ago. His message was to never give up and don’t pay attention to the odds. Just keep moving. So I did.

It takes me longer to get where I plan to go than I had anticipated. I stop and take pictures of anything I think is remotely interesting. And then there are the people. I love these encounters. It takes time but adds so much more meaning to my journey. Bless you, all of you wonderful people who stop, or honk as you pass by. You give me strength, you give me courage, and you give me hope that there are people who care. I am a long way from a dollar for everyone in Utah, and still a long way from St. George, but I know we will finish this and we will be able to do a lot with what comes our way. Thank you! Together, we can make a difference.


Don’t forget the Concert In The Park on Friday night. Heritage Park in Cedar Hills, 7 pm. Also, we will get videos up on Saturday, in time for Saturday Night at the Movies. Bring popcorn :)

WHERE'S WALLY?

View Interactive Map on MapMyWalk.com

1 comment:

  1. OMG STeve OMG I love the stories.. YOu are a great writer too!!!

    ReplyDelete