Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 14 Fairview to Mt Pleasant

Coming into Mt Pleasant was a true treat. A few miles out of town I was met by Evelyn, a reporter from the Pyramid, one of the newspapers in Sanpete County. She took a few pictures and mentioned that she had taken some information from my website and from the Herald article from last week. She asked if I wanted to add anything, and when I answered yes, she invited me down to the office for an interview.
 One of the first businesses you encounter coming into the north end of town is the Shave -N- Cream. As I walked past a spry gentleman bounded out to the street with two bottles of chilled water, saying we looked like we could use a drink. We decided to go in. Jim Bangerter, the man who had brought the water, assumed his position behind the counter and proudly displayed his 39 flavors of ice-cream and even more flavors of Hawaiian shaved ice – complete with an ice-cream bottom , azuki beans, and sweetened condenced milk. It took forever for us to choose flavors, but we ended up with some of the best ice-cream we had ever had – on the house. Thank you Jim!
We continued on through the charming town, taking pictures as we went, collecting donations and waving at people who honked as they passed by. My daughter, Elise, wants to move here. We ended our walk at Terrel’s, the town’s largest store. It was a day that matched the town, pleasant and sweet. We finished the day at the Basin Drive-In Theater. I sat in a chair beside the car while Kara and Elise watched from inside the car. The movie was great but the brightest stars framed the screen. I forget sometimes how amazing the night sky can be without the wash of city lights dimming the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment