Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 17 to Manti



Entering Manti
I will never forget my first trip into Manti as a young teen. We came to see the Manti Pageant, but we had chosen a weekend where it seemed the weather was going to mess everything up. We got there, set up on the lawn south of the Temple and waited for the downpour portended by the thick clouds filling the evening sky. We got sprinkled on a bit, but once the pageant started, I all but forgot about the weather until a ripple started going through the audience and I noticed people looking up into the dark and pointing at what seemed to me to be a real miracle – there was a donut in the sky made of dark ominous clouds, and the hole in the middle was positioned directly over Manti. Not another drop of rain fell that night until the play was over. After what seemed to me like an immeasurably long walk, we made it to our car, piled in and soon we were lined up in the bumper to bumper train heading toward Ephraim, windshield wipers pumping in a vain effort to wipe away sheets of rain.  

Getting my "morning moos"

This morning, I started about 7 miles out of Manti. As I approached the city, with its Temple dominated skyline, I chased a few hawks with my camera and got my “morning moos” from the cows in the stockyard as I finished walking from Ephraim to Manti. 
Once we got to Manti, Kara tracked down a local bakery, bought some pastries and then we headed over to the radio station, home of KMTI and KRMG. The folks here have made such a difference for us  
in having people aware of who we are and what we are doing, especially Larry Masco, who gave me my first live radio interview on his Table Talk program the morning we launched. Darcie, the station manager, has also been a great support. While we were in the studio, she contacted the principal of the local school, who is arranging to have the kids come out on Main Street to meet me tomorrow morning. I thought that was so cool! We spent a great few minutes talking with Darcie and Ray, the KMGR morning DJ. It was wonderful meeting people who have done so much for us. They will continue to give us great publicity as we go.

Temple View Resort
 
This afternoon we moved the trailer from Mt. Pleasant to Manti’s Temple View Resort. The accommodations are almost as charming as Holly, our host. It is such a beautiful setting with rustic décor throughout the shaded park. They also have a Jacuzzi! I think we will love it here.





2 comments:

  1. Those cows looking over the fence actually came running as Steve walked by. I wonder if they thought he would feed them!?!? Boy were they noisey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many have approached us with their donations saying they heard about us on the radio. KMTI and KMGR have done so much in supporting us from the very beginning! I've been listening to Ray on KMGR for some time - it was great to meet him in person.

    ReplyDelete