Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sundays

I don’t walk on Sundays. Instead, we usually visit friends or family and drive to places nearby that may have been off the walking path. Early on, we spent time with my mom. She is an awesome lady and we love visiting with her and playing hand-and-foot or Acquire.
By our third Sunday, we were already to Gunnison and had met some great friends in Spring City along the way. This was conference weekend, and we were able to pick up some of it on the radio, but returned to Spring City for the afternoon and Priesthood sessions with the Huntsmans. Sunday, it was back at moms, now over a 90 minute drive, but well worth it.
The following week we were in Richfield, but returned to Spring City to spend the day with the Huntsmans and the Timms. We drove up the canyon and got an awesome view of the valley. We also got a guided tour of the town, including a drive to the old cemetery, which of course, we thoroughly enjoyed. Three men killed in the Black Hawk war are buried there. On the way to the cemetery we passed a house with four mule deer, all of them bucks with full racks, ravaging a flower garden in the middle of town. We thought it was hilarious, knowing that at that very moment, hunters were scouring the mountainside for deer and coming up empty.
The following Sunday was spend in Marysvale. We had Hillbilly with us, and he seemed to enjoy the meeting but was antsy about leaving his dog for too long, so I took him back after the first meeting, where he was all but mugged by his dog when he got out of the car. Back in the partially built meeting house, I found myself looking at the pictures of missionaries from the area that was posted on a wall. They went back to some very early times. One of the faces looked familiar. I was surprised when I read the name, Lynn Snow, but the resemblance was obvious once I made the connection. Lynn served as a Stake Family History Consultant with Kara and me a few years ago. He was wonderful to work with. I would love to tell him about finding his picture on a wall in the Marysvale meetinghouse.
This Sunday we spent in Glendale with Stella and the Maxwells. I also drove back along the road and tried to get some better pictures of where I had walked yesterday because it was too dark when I had passed by the first time. I also took a slight side trip up to the “lake” by Alton. It is barely off 89, but I could see the edge from the road. It was nice to drive up for a closer look.
Next week will be the last Sunday on the walk. I hope to spend it in St George with my sister Sue and her family.
The following Sunday, the 7th of November, I have been invited to speak at a fireside in St George. Come on down, if you have a mind to. The talk might be boring, but it would be a great excuse to be in a place 20 to 30 degrees warmer than most other places in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment