Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 37 Oct 25 Orderville


Started today in the rain. About three miles out I heard some gun shots. I thought it was strange to have someone shooting at deer so close to the highway. Soon I saw two hunters appear from out of the bushes dragging a coyote behind them. They threw it in the back of their pickup, waved, and drove off.
I walked four miles in the rain, bringing me into Glendale where the trailer is parked. I had a class to teach so I stopped to go to work. Later, I walked another 5 miles, until dark, taking me through Orderville and a bit beyond. I thought I heard elk bugling in the valley, but it may have just been hunters – though I don’t think the elk hunt is on.
Orderville is such an interesting town. There are several shops that have relics and one even had a rather large replica of the city in its prime, but none of these shops were open. I peeked through the window to see what I could but I was disappointed that I wasn’t able to go inside. The one place that was open was Cooter’s, a restaurant in town across from the school. I walked in, intending to make use of one of their smaller rooms, and was invited to have a piece of pie. I chose chocolate cream – wow was it ever wonderful and rich!
I can only guess that the shops were closed due to the deer hunt. I passed the Rustic Mountain Furniture store – closed. The DUP Museum – closed. The Home Plate Diner – closed. The schools were also closed – fall break of course. Perhaps I can go back on another day when the other shops are open.

No comments:

Post a Comment