Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 25 – South of Richfield to South of Elsinore.


My dirt "road"
Started walking in the afternoon. As I headed south toward Elsinore and realized that while the road was narrow without much of a shoulder, there was a great dirt “road” that ran parallel down the East side. I was able to follow it most of the way.

Western Meadowlark - click to see all state birds
I downloaded this lark pic
I don’t know if larks are really happy, but they sure lift my heart. I love the way they call back and forth to each other from either side of the road. Roger's and Hammerstien got it right when they wrote about the "sweet silver song of a lark." It is some of my favorite music to walk by. The meadowlarks that is - not the Sound of Music.

At one point a guy pulled over close to where I was walking and hopped out with a massive camera. “I gotta get this view”, he said. “But I guess you see this all the time.”


On the road to Elsinore
 
“Every day”, I replied.
“I guess it must get to be pretty much the same day in and day out for you then, but this is amazing to me.” The distant mountains that would eventually swallow 89 looked magically shrouded in the late afternoon sun, and beams of light lit up the mist between the hills, making the mountain look much like an oriental painting with layer behind layer behind layer. It was breathtaking.

He and his wife were from Maryland. When I explained I was only walking through here and why, he looked at me with the same expression he had when he had looked at the mountains moments before. He was incredulous. I gave him my website and invited him to go check it out. Maybe he will.


On the road to Elsinore

Another gentleman stopped and walked with me a short distance. He gave me $15 and wished me well. Soon, another lady stopped and gave Kara another $15 but that would be all we would collect on the road for the day. We passed through Elsinore and were flagged down by someone from the Richfield Herald. She said they had been trying to find me for days and she was so excited to be the one to find me. She took some pictures, asked some questions and sent us on our way saying that someone may be calling us with questions.


The woman from the Richfield Reaper

We stopped at a gas station, where Kara created some pretty good hamburgers, and then we hit the road again. Outside of Elsinore, a walking trail starts that runs all the way to Big Rock Candy Mountain. We will go pretty much uphill for the next 100 miles before we start heading down to Mt Carmel and Hwy 9 through Zion’s Canyon.
WHERE'S WALLY?
View Interactive Map on MapMyWalk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment