Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 33 Panguitch

Panguitch is an interesting town. Lots of Cowboy themed stores, and yet coming into town, I passed some giraffe sculptures in some ones yard. I went into Owen’s convenience and gas store and saw some pictures on the counter of some huge fish, which I found out came out of nearby Panguitch Lake. I was impressed. I also noticed that the banners on the light posts throughout the town have a rainbow trout, and I supposed it must have something to do with those large fish I saw on the counter at Owen’s. Later I found out that Panguitch is a Paiute name, meaning “big fish.”  Now it all makes sense – except of course for the giraffes.
Ever since I passed through Richfield I had been looking for a florescent orange jacket of some sort to keep me warm without having to wear a construction vest over me. I figured with the deer hunt going on, finding an orange jacket would be a breeze, but everywhere I looked I came up empty. As I passed what appeared to be a sportsman’s store named The Shed coming into Panguitch, I saw lots of orange jackets on a rack and went in, leaving Kara out on the street in the chase car wondering where I had disappeared to. I bought a jacket, and he threw in a long-sleeved shirt. Both have been a blessing.
Quilt Walk Monument

Entering Panguitch

Highway 89 follows Main Street South into town, but turns East onto Center Street and heads towards the mountains and Bryce Canyon, about 25 miles beyond. Soon after you make the turn, you will pass the Quilt Walk Monument. In 1864, the year Panguitch was first settled by Mormons from Parawan, the winter was so harsh that the crops did not survive and they had run short on supplies. Seven men volunteered to return to Parawan over the mountains, roughly along the path of Highway 20. The snow was deep and the wagons had to be abandoned. Though the snow was crusted over, the men would break through the crust making it extremely difficult to walk. One of the men accidently dropped a quilt and discovered when he stepped on it that he didn’t sink. Soon the men were laying quilts, one after the other all the way across the mountain pass. When they returned, they had to repeat the process, but this time burdened with wheat and supplies. Panguitch was saved, but then abandoned the following year due to the outbreak of the Black Hawk War. The town was resettled in 1870.
We had to relocate the trailer again today. We had planned to go to the Red Canyon RV Park just off of 89 where you turn to go to Bryce Canyon. When I called to arrange to stay there, the owner said he was closing for the season on Thursday. When we arrived on Wednesday morning we found the gates closed and locked. I talked to the owner who was minding the store next door and he explained that since they were closing on Thursday, they had closed the gates on Wednesday so that they wouldn’t have to pay for help for the following day. But he graciously offered a spot in front of another abandoned store. We decided to further down the road and ended up at the Riverside RV Park. We got a bit of a discount from the owner of the RV park, but the owner of the restaurant offered us breakfast.
My cousin Jana and her husband Mike
After setting up the trailer, I went back on the road and finished walking past the road into Bryce Canyon before calling it a day. I had to teach classes that evening, but when class was over, Kara and I went back into Panguitch to meet my cousin Jana and her husband Mike who bought us dinner at the only restaurant still open at that hour. We ate turkey pot pies – they were the only hot dishes available, but they were pretty tasty. It was nice to spend some time with Jana and Mike. I have been grateful for the support from my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment