Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 26 Elsinore to Sevier


There is a walking /bike path that runs from Elsinore, through Joseph and Sevier and on to Big Rock Candy Mountain. It keeps me off the road. It was mostly a quiet day, except for the few territorial dogs I encountered along the way.

I have been seeing little butterflies on the road, about the color of my shirt. I thought they had died and somehow were just stuck there. Today I stopped long enough to bump one with my crutch – it started walking away. I couldn’t get it to fly but it clearly wasn’t dead.
At another point along the path, I stopped to take a call. I soon noticed a few quail coming out of the brush beside the path just a few feet from where I stood. They started to walk away from me and I watched as I talked and was amazed that the longer I stood there, the more quail came out the brush. I couldn’t see them until they crawled out, but there must have been about 20 of them. They were startled at first, but when I didn’t move, some of them came back to peck at the seeds on the brush they had been hiding in.

Near Sevier, where the stream ran along by the path, I found what must have been a child’s paradise. There was a large upside down tub set under a tree with a rope hanging down from a branch so that a kid could run off the top of the tub and swing out over the stream. There were also several tree houses built in the large trees growing beside the stream. I could imagine a kid spending endless summer hours playing here.
Just outside of Sevier, I saw a family up ahead waiting for me. Brock and Jami Bingham had seen some old friends on my blog, the Jarvis’s, who had walked with me in Gunnison. They decided to bring their children and come out and meet me as well. Each of the kids had their own money to give. I wonder if Kevin knows how many people out there are watching and trying to help. The Binghams walked with me for a short distance, asked questions, posed for a picture and wrote a check to donate to the kids. They were a sweet family and great company.
The Curtis's

When I finally reached the end of my walk today at the trailhead where the path leaves the road and runs up to Big Rock Candy Mountain, I ran into the Curtis’s from Salt Lake. They had come to ride bikes along the path. When I told them about my walk they were surprised I had come so far and promised to make a donation when they got back.

Steve at Steve's Steakhouse

I am  so grateful for people who reach out to help; kids who give up their allowance, or as with the Bingham’s today, even their birthday money, people who dig everything out of their pockets or wallets to give what they can, business owners like Steve of Steve’s Steakhouse in Richfield, who gave us dinner tonight.  They all make this possible. Thank you all. And bless you all.

WHERE'S WALLY?

View Interactive Map on MapMyWalk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment